Terms & Conditions
AVCon is organised by Team AVCon Incorporated. All attendees present at the Festival agree upon entry to comply with this Code of Conduct for the General Public and accept all of its conditions. Please note that failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in ejection from the Festival and associated events, and may result in banning/blacklisting from future Team AVCon Incorporated events.
Conditions of Entry
- Entry to the Festival and associated events/venues is at an own risk basis.
- Passes MUST be worn and visible at all times. One pass per person. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee either purchasing a replacement pass, or being ejected from the event.
- While every care is taken to ensure that events within the Festival run according to schedule, at times this will not be possible. Passes are non-refundable if individual events, guests, screenings or tournaments run outside of schedule or are cancelled.
- Team AVCon Incorporated, its organising committee, staff and volunteers (including its associates) and the venue/s will not be held liable for any loss, damage, theft or injury sustained entering or within the premises during the event.
- No glass, weapons, fireworks, illicit drugs or alcohol will be allowed into the venue and surrounding area.
- Attendees should dress in a modest and appropriate manner, including when in costume. If clothes or costumes are deemed immodest, unacceptably revealing or otherwise inappropriate, an attendee must change clothes or modify a costume so that it is deemed acceptable.
- No smoking is permitted inside public/function areas. This is against Australian Law covering all States and Territories. Smoking is permitted in some outside areas at least 10 metres away from buildings, doors, windows, air intakes, etc.
- Animals/pets are not allowed into the venue or the event. The only exception to this rule exists for people who require a registered Guide Dog to assist with their mobility.
- Pass holders consent to filming and sound recording as members of the crowd and/or audience. Individual photography/filming may not be undertaken without the permission of the subject. Refer to section Filming and Photography for further clarification
- Team AVCon Incorporated reserves the right to refuse entry to and/or eject from the Festival and any associated events any patron acting in a dangerous manner or in a manner that may cause harm to themselves or other attendees.
- Please note all passes are non-refundable and not for resale.
- “Free Hugs” signs are officially banned.
- Failure to comply with the above code of conduct may result with forfeiture and confiscation of your AVCon pass without a refund and ejection from AVCon.
AVCon is and always should be a safe, welcoming and friendly environment for everyone involved. As such, harassment of convention participants in any form will not be tolerated under any circumstance. Convention attendees violating these rules may be warned or removed from the convention, without refund, at the discretion of the convention staff or venue security.
Harassment can include but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments or statements considered or construed as offensive (regardless of the commenter’s intent),
- Following or stalking,
- Inappropriate or non-consensual photography or recording,
- Inappropriate or non-consensual physical contact,
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
Attendees spoken to in regards to their behaviour by convention staff or security may, depending on the severity of the incident, be:
- Given a warning to cease their behaviour,
- Be immediately removed from the venue,
- Have their pass revoked without the right to refund.
If the behaviour in question substantively violates state law, police will be called and further action may be taken.
It is a condition of entry that any attendee either warned or ejected for their behaviour submit to having their photo taken after an incident for future reference of security and staff.
Exhibitors, vendors or anyone else engaged in similar activities are also subject to the anti-harassment policy.
If during the event you have been or are being harassed, or you know or have seen someone that has been or is being harassed, or you have any other concerns, please speak to a AVCon staff member immediately.
Anti-Harassment Policy provided courtesy of the Cosplay Sentinels Project
This Policy is intended to provide an overview of our policies for the handling of your personal information by Team AVCon Incorporated (“Team AVCon”). For the purposes of the Act and the Policy, your personal information is any information about you from which your identity may be reasonably ascertained. This Policy covers most personal information collected by Team AVCon, but it is not exhaustive. If you would like to enquire further about the management of your personal information, please contact Team AVCon at [email protected].
How Team AVCon Collects, Holds, Uses and Discloses Personal Information
Team AVCon limits the personal information it collects to information that is necessary for the provision or promotion of membership, products and services to you. Team AVCon nearly always collects personal information directly from you, including from membership application forms, entry into promotions, surveys, mailing lists, websites and registration forms, as well as through communication with you.
Where personal information is not provided, Team AVCon may not be able to provide you with products or services.
Team AVCon handles personal information carefully. Storage of your personal information may be undertaken by a specialist third party at an off-site location, or it may be stored by Team AVCon in a secure location. Team AVCon will take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored securely and ensure that your personal information is not misplaced or misused, and that unauthorised access to, modification of, or disclosure of your personal information does not occur.
Security measures that may be employed from time to time may include:
- Password protection of information stored in computer records;
- restricted access to certain information, to ensure that only authorised individuals are able to view this information, and only for authorised purposes;
- encryption of personal information and AVCon databases;
- network and computer security;
- physical document security, including locked offices, filing cabinets and archives; and
- periodic secure destruction of the information on the database ensure that your personal information will not be stored indefinitely.
Team AVCon reserves the right to refuse to provide you with further information about security procedures if doing so may compromise those procedures.
Use and Disclosure
Team AVCon will generally only use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, with your consent and/or for related purposes that Team AVCon considers are within your reasonable expectations. Team AVCon does not otherwise disclose your information to third party organisations for any purpose, including marketing or promotional purposes without your consent.
Team AVCon will seek your consent prior to using or disclosing your personal information for any other purpose (unless the use or disclosure is required or authorised by law).
Automatic Server Logs
The web server used Team AVCon automatically collects various items of information when you access the website, including:
- Your IP (Internet Protocol) address;
- information about the operating system and Internet browser software you are currently using; and
- the data that you download from the websites(s) and when you download it.
Although, in some circumstances, it may be possible to identify you from this information, Team AVCon does not attempt to do so (unless authorised or required to do so by law), and Team AVCon only uses this information for statistical analysis, system administration, and similar purposes.
Email and eForms
Team AVCon may collect personal information from you (such as your name, email address, and any other personal information you provide) if you send Team AVCon an email or if you submit information to Team AVCon using any function on its website, such as an eform or online forum. Team AVCon will use this personal information to contact you to respond to your message, and for other related purposes.
If you provide any personal information to Team AVCon via its online services (including email) or if Team AVCon provides information to you by these means, the privacy, security and integrity of this information cannot be guaranteed during its transmission unless Team AVCon has expressly indicated otherwise.
Once Team AVCon receives personal information, it will take reasonable steps to store it in accordance with the terms of this Policy so that unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, misuse and loss is limited or prevented.
Other Online Services
If any of Team AVCon’s online services (including any email messages we send to you) provide links to other online services that are not operated by Team AVCon, it is not responsible for the content of those other services and Team AVCon does not endorse the privacy practices of the organisations that operate those other services.
Complaints, Concerns or Further Information
If you believe that a breach of your privacy has occurred or have any other concerns surrounding privacy, we encourage you to contact Team AVCon to discuss your concerns using the details provided.
The rating of the Festival in general is PG. Specific areas and events which may exceed this PG rating will be clearly marked as such. The G, PG and M classifications are advisory only and there are no legal age restrictions regarding these ratings and as such these areas are open to all attendees of the Festival regardless of age. Due to differences in international rating structures and systems, some adult situations may occur in which profanity, nudity or violence may be present. Where ever possible, we have indicated these events on the programming schedule to aid in our patrons viewing choices, but parental guidance is ALWAYS recommended.
MA15+ is a legally restricted classification. Attendees must be able to prove their age as being 15 or over to participate in MA15+ rated gaming tournaments or enter MA15+ areas or screenings of the Festival. Participants under 15 years of age are permitted only when they are accompanied by their parent or guardian. The “guardian” must be an adult exercising “parental control” over the person under 15 years of age. The guardian needs to be 18 years or older. An older sibling or friend would not generally satisfy this requirement, whereas a grandparent, aunt or uncle may. This is a legal requirement under Australian classification law and is not negotiable.
Costumes & Cosplay
Team AVCon Incorporated reserves the right to deem a costume as unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. Public exposure of genitalia, buttocks or (female) breasts is not permitted. The Festival is a family friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing and creating your costumes, and allow your common sense and good taste to prevail.
Some people are susceptible to epileptic seizures or loss of consciousness when exposed to certain flashing lights or light patterns. Such people may have a seizure while watching certain monitor images or playing certain video games. This may happen even if the person has no medical history of epilepsy or has never had any epileptic seizures. Team AVCon Incorporated recommends if you or anyone in your family has ever had symptoms related to epilepsy (seizures or loss of consciousness) when exposed to flashing lights, consult your doctor prior to participating in video game events or screening. If you experience any of the following symptoms: dizziness, blurred vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of consciousness, disorientation, any involuntary movement or convulsion, while playing a video game or watching a screening, IMMEDIATELY discontinue the activity and consult your doctor.
Film & Photography
Photographs and videotape footage by attendees of AVCon are generally allowed in all common areas of the Festival. Specific rules and restrictions regarding video, audio, and photography apply to certain other events within the Festival. Pay attention to signs or announcements regarding restrictions when entering a panel or specific event/area. When photographing or videotaping individuals or costumes, use common courtesy and ask before clicking. Respect an attendee’s rights if they do not wish to be photographed or videotaped. Photography or videotaping of AVCon events, staff, or attendees for the purpose of sale, or publication to the press is expressly forbidden unless written permission has been obtained from Team AVCon Incorporated. If images and/or videos are placed onto a personal web page or similar internet archive, please identify all media from AVCon events as being AVCon events.
Attendees should also be aware that footage of the Festival and attendees is gathered by staff members, in areas including public areas, events, and panels, and may be used in a highlights tape, for advertising or for other use. Entry into AVCon constitutes consent to be filmed or photographed by AVCon staff or approved industry or media during the Festival without compensation to you. Entry into AVCon constitutes a grant of rights to Team AVCon Incorporated to reproduce, display, distribute, perform, create derivative works from and otherwise use any media derived at the Festival. These rules apply to all Festival attendees.
Inappropriate use of photography or video technology constituting harassment of attendees or a violation of local/state/federal law will result in ejection from the Festival and associated events.
Food & Drink
Food items including drinks are not allowed inside screening areas or near electronic equipment such as video game consoles and TVs. Those found to be consuming food items in such areas will be asked to leave the area while eating/drinking, but may return once finished.
Every due care has been taken to ensure the venue is safe. Team AVCon Incorporated, its organising committee, staff and volunteers (including its associates) and the venue/s are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft or injury that occurs during the event. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Staff are on hand for assistance in any situation, but any civil or medical emergency is to be handled directly by the relevant authorities.
AVCon defines a minor as anyone age 10 or under. All children age 10 and under MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Under no circumstances will minors be allowed entry to the Festival unaccompanied. All accompanying parents or designated guardians must purchase and display a valid entry pass for the Festival.
Passes – General, Vendors, Press & Guests
Passes MUST be worn at all times. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee either purchasing a replacement pass, or being ejected from the event. Those found entering the event without purchasing a pass will be escorted to the registration desk to purchase a pass, or will be banned from the event for its duration.
Press, Special Guest and Vendor passes may be picked up from registration on the day or prior to the event if previously arranged with Team AVCon Incorporated. Press passes will only be issued to those able to provide evidence of employment within the media.
All AVCon tickets and passes are non-refundable.
AVCON Ticket Terms & Conditions
- Children aged 10 and under can enter AVCon at no charge if accompanied by a ticket holder. A children’s pass can be obtained at-the-door.
- Concession pricing is available for at-the-door sales for Government concession card holders; such as Seniors Cards, disability cards or Centrelink Health Care Cards.
- Holders of Government Carer Cards or Companion Cards will receive a free ticket at-the-door when accompanying their ward.
- No refund or exchange on any ticket except as required by law.
- AVCon tickets guarantee entrance into the AVCon festival, but do not guarantee advertised guests, artists or programs. AVCon reserves the right to add, withdraw, reschedule or substitute guests or artists and / or vary advertised programs at any point. Any addition, withdrawal, reschedule or substitution of guests or artists and / or any variation to advertised programs will not entitle a ticket purchaser to a refund.
- Entry may be refused if tickets are damaged or defaced in any way or are not purchased from AVCon or other authorised points of sale.
- AVCon tickets may not be resold, except with the written consent of AVCon. If a ticket is sold in breach of this condition, the ticket may be cancelled without a refund and the bearer of the ticket may be refused admission.
- All prices quoted include the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- AVCon takes no responsibility of lost or stolen tickets and passes. If a ticket or pass is lost or stolen, a replacement will need to be purchased.
- If payment for a ticket is reversed by chargeback or other mechanism, the tickets purchased may be invalidated and the ticket purchaser and associated ticket holders may be barred from future events.
- AVCon’s Code of Conduct can be found here at avcon.org.au. By entering AVCon, you agree to the AVCon Code of Conduct.
- Inquiries or complaints: if you have an enquiry or complaint, please contact us at [email protected].
Any violation of the Code of Conduct which involves activities prohibited by law will result in the notification of the proper authorities, eviction from the event without refund and may result in banning/blacklisting from future Team AVCon Incorporated events.
Dangerous activities will not be tolerated. This includes aggressive actions towards other attendees, fighting, offensive behaviour, indecent exposure, possession of weapons and other obscenities which could result in substantial risk or harm to persons or property. Attendees participating in these activities will be evicted from the venue without right to re-entry or refund. Team AVCon Incorporated accepts no liability for any injuries, damages or loss caused by these activities.
In the case of an emergency evacuation or situation please follow official directives.
Security will be present at AVCon to ensure the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers and venue. Security will patrol the event for general offences and possible criminal activity. General offences are handled by Security, who can eject persons from the Festival.
Criminal actions are handled by the Head of Security or the Elect of Team AVCon Incorporated. Certain offences will lead to immediate ejection from the Festival regardless. Removals can be issued for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- Harassment reports
- Disorderly conduct / disruption of the Festival
- Violation of any law; be it local, state, federal or international
- Violation of any Festival Policies and other organisations policies directly relating to AVCon (eg. Adelaide Convention Centre, etc.)
- Avoiding security staff trying to speak with you
- Flight from security staff after a policy violation has been declared but before the issue is resolved
- Violations of ANY of AVCon’s Codes of Conduct, as stated by Team AVCon Incorporated
Criminal actions, if they occur, should be reported to Security who will follow through with the appropriate course of action deemed necessary. Security does not have general responsibility for any aspect of the Festival, but can choose to respond to any disruptive action occurring anywhere in the Venue. If Security chooses to remove an individual from the Festival site, Team AVCon Incorporated or Security will immediately revoke the attendee’s pass without the right to refund.
Weapon & Prop Policy
Team AVCon defines a weapon as being any item which is large, pointy, sharp or heavy enough to cause possible harm or any item which could cause harm to other attendees or property.
Examples of what is NOT allowed:
- Bladed or edged weapons
- Live steel of any kind (knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, shuriken, Okinawan Kamas, etc)
- Firearms (unless the owner is an authorised law enforcement official)
- Explosives (thermo nuclear devices, etc)
- Most wooden weapons, such as bokken, staffs etc
- Liquid dispensing weapons
- Anything that shoots a projectile (this includes realistic and plastic guns)
- Anything that looks like a weapon in the opinion of the security staff
- Anything Team AVCon Incorporated, security, the venue or law deems illegal or overly harmful
Team AVCon encourages attendees that have weapons as part of their cosplay costumes to use cardboard/plastic/rubber/styrofoam “fake weapons” instead of hard, edged, dangerous “real weapons”.
Anyone caught with a weapon deemed unsafe will be asked to put it in storage at the event or their own storage (such as inside their car) until needed for the cosplay competition. If they are found later to not have stored the weapon they may be escorted by Security to leave the Festival and have their pass revoked without refund.
All functioning projectile weapons are NOT allowed at all, this includes individuals who possess a weapons permit or concealed weapons permit. Anyone found to possess an illegal or real weapon of any kind will be reported and handed over to the relevant authorities and their Festival pass will be revoked without refund.
Upon entry to the Festival you will be asked to “check-in” your weapons/props whether or not you think they are dangerous on the discretion of the Festival staff. There is a strict NO WEAPON policy; this means all props deemed potential risk must be checked into storage. You will be able to access your props for photo shoots and the cosplay competition only.
Weapons should not at any time be waved around. It can be considered “brandishing” to wave a weapon around in a manner that may be construed as use of the weapon. If your weapon is drawn in a public/function area your pass will be immediately revoked without refund. Keep in mind South Australian Police assume all drawn weapons are functional and Police Officers will act accordingly.
If you are unsure that your weapon is acceptable in public/ function areas, please ask the Security Staff or Registration for an inspection of your item. Please use good judgement when bringing props/weapons to the Festival.
“Free Hugs” Signs
“Free Hug” and equivalent signs are officially off limits at AVCon. All signs will be removed from attendees on sight to avoid incidents outside of consent.
For the safety and enjoyment of other attendees, selfie sticks are not allowed inside the venue.