Code of Conduct
Team AVCon Incorporated organises AVCon. All attendees present at the Festival agree upon entry to comply with this Code of Conduct for the General Public and accept all of its conditions. Please note that failure to comply with the Code of Conduct may result in ejection from the Festival and associated events and may result in banning/blacklisting future Team AVCon Incorporated events.
Conditions of Entry
- Entry to the Festival and associated events/venues are at an own risk basis.
- Passes MUST be worn and visible at all times. One pass per person. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee purchasing a replacement pass or being ejected from the event.
- While every care is taken to ensure that events within the Festival run according to schedule, at times, this will not be possible. Passes are non-refundable if individual events, guests, or tournaments run outside of schedule or are cancelled.
- Team AVCon Incorporated, its organising committee, staff and volunteers (including its associates), and the venue/s will not be held liable for any loss, damage, theft or injury sustained entering or within the premises during the event.
- No glass, weapons, fireworks, illicit drugs or alcohol will be allowed into the venue and surrounding area.
- Attendees should dress modestly and appropriately, including when in costume. If clothes or costumes are deemed immodest, unacceptably revealing or otherwise inappropriate, an attendee must change clothes or modify a costume so that it is deemed acceptable.
- No smoking is permitted inside public/function areas. This is against Australian Law covering all States and Territories. Smoking is permitted in some outside areas at least 10 metres away from buildings, doors, windows, air intakes, etc.
- Animals/pets are not allowed into the venue or the event. The only exception to this rule exists for people who require a registered Guide Dog to assist with their mobility.
- Pass holders consent to filming and sound recording as members of the crowd and/or audience. Individuals may not undertake photography/filming without the permission of the subject. Refer to section Filming and Photography for further clarification
- Team AVCon Incorporated reserves the right to refuse entry to and/or eject from the Festival and any associated events any patron acting in a dangerous manner or in a manner that may cause harm to themselves or other attendees.
- Please note all passes are non-refundable and not for resale.
- “Free Hugs” and equivalent signs are not allowed. All signs will be removed from attendees on sight to avoid incidents outside of consent.
- Selfie sticks are not allowed inside the venue for the safety and enjoyment of other attendees.
- Failure to comply with the above code of conduct may result in forfeiture and confiscation of your AVCon pass without a refund and ejection from AVCon.
AVCon is and always should be a safe, welcoming and friendly environment for everyone involved. As such, harassment of convention participants in any form will not be tolerated under any circumstance. Convention attendees violating these rules may be warned or removed from the convention, without refund, at the discretion of the convention staff or venue security.
Harassment can include but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments or statements considered or construed as offensive (regardless of the commenter’s intent),
- Following or stalking,
- Inappropriate or non-consensual photography or recording,
- Inappropriate or non-consensual physical contact,
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
Attendees spoken to in regards to their behaviour by convention staff or security may be depending on the severity of the incident, be:
- Given a warning to cease their behaviour,
- Be immediately removed from the venue,
- Have their pass revoked without the right to refund.
If the behaviour in question substantively violates state law, police will be called, and further action may be taken.
It is a condition of entry that any attendee either warned or ejected for their behaviour submit to having their photo taken after an incident for future reference of security and staff.
Exhibitors, vendors, or anyone else engaged in similar activities are also subject to the anti-harassment policy.
If during the event you have been or are being harassed, or you know or have seen someone that has been or is being harassed, or you have any other concerns, please speak to an AVCon staff member immediately.
Anti-Harassment Policy provided courtesy of the Cosplay Sentinels Project.
The rating of the Festival in general is PG. Specific areas and events which may exceed this PG rating will be clearly marked as such. The G, PG and M classifications are advisory only. There are no legal age restrictions regarding these ratings. These areas are open to all attendees of the Festival regardless of age. Due to differences in international rating structures and systems, some adult situations may occur in which profanity, nudity or violence may be present. Where ever possible, we have indicated these events on the programming schedule to aid in our patrons viewing choices, but parental guidance is ALWAYS recommended.
MA15+ is a legally restricted classification. Attendees must prove their age as being 15 or over to participate in MA15+ rated gaming tournaments or enter MA15+ areas of the Festival. Participants under 15 years of age are permitted only when their parent or guardian accompanies them. The “guardian” must be an adult exercising “parental control” over the person under 15 years of age. The guardian needs to be 18 years or older. An older sibling or friend would not generally satisfy this requirement, whereas a grandparent, aunt or uncle may. This is a legal requirement under Australian classification law and is not negotiable.
Costumes & Cosplay
Team AVCon Incorporated reserves the right to deem a costume unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. Public exposure of genitalia, buttocks or (female) breasts is not permitted. The Festival is a family-friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing and creating your costumes, and allow your common sense and good taste to prevail.
Some people are susceptible to epileptic seizures or loss of consciousness when exposed to certain flashing lights or light patterns. Such people may have a seizure while watching certain monitor images or playing certain video games. This may happen even if the person has no medical history of epilepsy or has never had any epileptic seizures. Team AVCon Incorporated recommends if you or anyone in your family has ever had symptoms related to epilepsy (seizures or loss of consciousness) when exposed to flashing lights, consult your doctor before participating in video game events or screenings. If you experience any of the following symptoms: dizziness, blurred vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of consciousness, disorientation, any involuntary movement or convulsion while playing a video game or watching a screening, IMMEDIATELY discontinue the activity and consult your doctor.
Film & Photography
Photographic and video footage by attendees of AVCon are generally allowed in all common areas of the Festival. Specific rules and restrictions regarding video, audio, and photography apply to certain other events within the Festival. Pay attention to signs or announcements regarding restrictions when entering a panel or specific event/area. When photographing or videoing individuals or costumes, use common courtesy and ask before. Respect an attendee’s rights if they do not wish to be photographed or videoed. Photography or videoing of AVCon events, staff, or attendees for sale or publication to the press is expressly forbidden unless written permission has been obtained from Team AVCon Incorporated. If images and/or videos are placed onto a personal web page or similar internet archive, please identify all media from AVCon events as being AVCon events.
Attendees should also be aware that footage of the Festival and attendees is gathered by staff members in areas including public areas, events, and panels and may be used in a highlights tape for advertising or other use. Entry into AVCon constitutes consent to be filmed or photographed by AVCon staff or approved industry or media during the Festival without compensation to you. Entry into AVCon constitutes a grant of rights to Team AVCon Incorporated to reproduce, display, distribute, perform, create derivative works, and otherwise use any media derived at the Festival. These rules apply to all Festival attendees.
Inappropriate use of photography or video technology constituting harassment of attendees or a violation of local/state/federal law will result in ejection from the Festival and associated events.
Food & Drink
Food items, including drinks, are not allowed inside screening areas or near electronic equipment such as video game consoles and TVs. Those found to be consuming food items in such areas will be asked to leave the area while eating/drinking but may return once finished.
Every due care has been taken to ensure the venue is safe. Team AVCon Incorporated, its organising committee, staff and volunteers (including its associates), and the venue/s are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury during the event. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Staff are on hand for assistance in any situation, but any civil or medical emergency is handled directly by the relevant authorities.
AVCon defines a minor as anyone age 10 or under. All children age 10 and under MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Under no circumstances will minors be allowed entry to the Festival unaccompanied. All accompanying parents or designated guardians must purchase and display a valid entry pass for the Festival.
Passes – General, Vendors, Press & Guests
Passes MUST be worn at all times. Failure to display a valid pass will result in the attendee purchasing a replacement pass or being ejected from the event. Those found entering the event without purchasing a pass will be escorted to the registration desk to purchase a pass or will be banned from the event for its duration.
Press, Special Guest and Vendor passes may be picked up from registration on the day or before the event if previously arranged with Team AVCon Incorporated. Press passes will only be issued to those able to provide evidence of employment within the media.
All AVCon tickets and passes are non-refundable.
AVCon Ticketing Terms & Conditions
- A session ticket allows you access to that one session only. If you wish to attend multiple, you need to purchase a weekend pass or individual session tickets. Please keep in mind ticket numbers are limited.
- All attendees will be asked to leave the venue in the hour between sessions to ensure the venue can be thoroughly cleaned and reset.
- Ticket pricing has been calculated based on several factors, including but not limited to venue costs, full-priced ticket sales from previous years and breakeven points.
- Children 5 and under can enter AVCon 2021 at no charge if accompanied by a ticket holder. Attendees can add a children’s pass to their order. Maximum 1 free child passes per standard ticket holder.
- Tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged except as required by law.
- AVCon tickets guarantee entrance into the AVCon 2021 festival but do not guarantee advertised guests, artists, or programs. AVCon reserves the right to add, withdraw, reschedule, or substitute guests or artists and/or vary advertised programs at any point. Any addition, withdrawal, reschedule or substitution of guests or artists and/or any variation to advertised programs will not entitle a ticket purchaser to a refund.
- AVCon may refuse entry if tickets are damaged, defaced in any way or are not purchased from AVCon or other authorised points of sale.
- AVCon tickets may not be resold, except with the written consent of AVCon. If a sold ticket breaches this condition, AVCon may cancel the ticket without a refund. The bearer of the ticket may be refused admission.
- All prices quoted include the Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- If your tickets are lost or stolen, you must produce proof of original purchase, and ticket number before a ticket will be reissued.
- If payment for a ticket is reversed by chargeback or another mechanism, the tickets purchased may be invalidated. The ticket purchaser and associated ticket holders may be barred from future events.
- AVCon accepts Companion Cards.
- Attendees can find AVCon’s Code of Conduct on our website here. By entering AVCon, you agree to the AVCon Code of Conduct.
- Inquiries or complaints: if you have a question or complaint, please contact us at [email protected]
Any violation of the Code of Conduct that involves activities prohibited by the law will result in the notification of the proper authorities, eviction from the event without refund, and may result in banning/blacklisting from future Team AVCon Incorporated events.
Dangerous activities will not be tolerated. This includes aggressive actions towards other attendees, fighting, offensive behaviour, indecent exposure, possession of weapons, and other obscenities, resulting in substantial risk or harm to persons or property. Attendees participating in these activities will be evicted from the venue without the right to re-entry or refund. Team AVCon Incorporated accepts no liability for any injuries, damages or loss caused by these activities.
In the case of an emergency evacuation or situation, please follow official directives.
Security will be present at AVCon to ensure the safety of the attendees, staff, volunteers and venue. Security will patrol the event for general offences and possible criminal activity. General offences are handled by Security, who can eject persons from the Festival.
Criminal actions are handled by the Head of Security or the Elect of Team AVCon Incorporated. Certain offences will lead to immediate ejection from the Festival regardless. Removals can be issued for several reasons, including but not limited to:
- Harassment reports
- Disorderly conduct/disruption of the Festival
- Violation of any law; be it local, state, federal or international
- Violation of any Festival Policies and other organisations policies directly relating to AVCon
- Avoiding security staff trying to speak with you
- Flight from security staff after a policy violation has been declared but before the issue is resolved.
- Violations of ANY of AVCon’s Codes of Conduct, as stated by Team AVCon Incorporated.
Criminal actions, if they occur, should be reported to Security, who will follow through with the appropriate course of action deemed necessary. Security does not have general responsibility for any aspect of the Festival but can respond to any disruptive action occurring anywhere in the Venue. If Security chooses to remove an individual from the Festival site, Team AVCon Incorporated or Security will immediately revoke the attendee’s pass without the right to refund.
Weapon & Prop Policy
Team AVCon defines a weapon as any item that is large, pointy, sharp or heavy enough to cause possible harm or any item which could cause harm to other attendees or property.
Examples of what is NOT allowed:
- Bladed or edged weapons
- Live steel of any kind (knives, swords, axes, martial arts equipment, shuriken, Okinawan Kamas, etc.)
- Firearms (unless the owner is an authorised law enforcement official)
- Explosives (thermonuclear devices, etc.)
- Most wooden weapons, such as bokken, staffs etc
- Liquid dispensing weapons
- Anything that shoots a projectile (this includes realistic and plastic guns)
- Anything that looks like a weapon, in the opinion of the security staff
- Anything Team AVCon Incorporated, security, the venue or law deems illegal or overly harmful
- Overly large or wide items that could be deemed a hazard.
It is the policy that any item over a meter or that has the appearance of metal/ wood is inspected by either a volunteer, a staff member, a committee member, or a member of the elect.
Team AVCon encourages attendees with weapons as part of their cosplay costumes to use cardboard/plastic/rubber/styrofoam “fake weapons” instead of hard, edged, dangerous “real weapons”.
Anyone caught with a weapon deemed unsafe will be asked to put it in storage at the event or their own storage (such as inside their car) until needed for the cosplay competition. If they are found later not to have stored the weapon, they may be escorted by Security to leave the Festival and have their pass revoked without refund.
All functioning projectile weapons are NOT allowed at all. This includes individuals who possess a weapons permit or concealed weapons permit. Anyone found to possess an illegal or real weapon of any kind will be reported and handed over to the relevant authorities. Their Festival pass will be revoked without a refund.
Upon entry to the Festival, you will be asked to “check-in” your weapons/props whether or not you think they are dangerous at the discretion of the Festival staff. There is a strict NO WEAPON policy; this means all props deemed potential risk must be checked into storage. You will be able to access your props for photoshoots and the cosplay competition only.
Weapons should not at any time be waved around. It can be considered “brandishing” to wave a weapon around in a manner that may be construed as the use of the weapon. If your weapon is drawn in a public/function area, your pass will be immediately revoked without a refund. Keep in mind South Australian Police assume all drawn weapons are functional, and Police Officers will act accordingly.
If you are unsure that your weapon is acceptable in public/ function areas, please ask the Security Staff or at Registration for an inspection of your item. Please use good judgement when bringing props/weapons to the Festival.
Team AVCon reserved the right to revoke any previous decision regarding any item.
If you are asked to cloak an item, and you are unhappy with this decision, you have the right to ask for a second opinion from a committee or elect member.
This Policy is intended to provide an overview of our policies for handling your personal information by Team AVCon Incorporated (“Team AVCon”). For the Act and the Policy, your personal information is any information about you that may reasonably ascertain your identity. This Policy covers most personal information collected by Team AVCon, but it is not exhaustive. If you would like to inquire further about managing your personal information, please contact Team AVCon at [email protected].
How Team AVCon Collects, Holds, Uses and Discloses Personal Information
Team AVCon limits the personal information it collects to information necessary for providing or promoting membership, products, and services to you. Team AVCon nearly always collects personal information directly from you, including from membership application forms, entry into promotions, surveys, mailing lists, websites and registration forms, as well as through communication with you.
Where personal information is not provided, Team AVCon may not be able to provide you with products or services.
Team AVCon handles personal information carefully. A specialist third party may store your personal information at an off-site location, or Team AVCon may store it in a secure location. Team AVCon will take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored securely and ensure that your personal information is not misplaced or misused and that unauthorised access to, modification of, or disclosure of your personal information does not occur.
Security measures that may be employed from time to time may include:
- Password protection of information stored in computer records;
- Restricted access to certain information, to ensure that only authorised individuals can view this information, and only for authorised purposes;
- Encryption of personal information and AVCon databases;
- Network and computer security;
- Physical document security, including locked offices, filing cabinets and archives; and
- Periodic secure destruction of the information on the database ensures that your personal information will not be stored indefinitely.
Team AVCon reserves the right to refuse to provide you with further information about security procedures if doing so may compromise those procedures.
Use and Disclosure
Team AVCon will generally only use or disclose your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, with your consent and/or for related purposes that Team AVCon considers are within your reasonable expectations. Team AVCon does not otherwise disclose your information to third party organisations for any purpose, including marketing or promotional purposes, without your consent.
Team AVCon will seek your consent before using or disclosing your personal information for any other purpose (unless the use or disclosure is required or authorised by law).
Automatic Server Logs
The web server used by Team AVCon automatically collects various items of information when you access the website, including:
- Your IP (Internet Protocol) address;
- Information about the operating system and Internet browser software you are currently using; and
- The data that you download from the websites(s) and when you download it.
Although it may be possible to identify you from this information in some circumstances, Team AVCon does not attempt to do so (unless authorised or required to do so by law). Team AVCon only uses this information for statistical analysis, system administration, and similar purposes.
Email and eForms
Team AVCon may collect personal information from you (such as your name, email address, and any other personal information you provide) if you send Team AVCon an email or if you submit information to Team AVCon using any function on its websites, such as an eForm or online forum. Team AVCon will use this personal information to contact you to respond to your message and other related purposes.
If you provide any personal information to Team AVCon via its online services (including email) or if Team AVCon provides information to you by these means, the privacy, security and integrity of this information cannot be guaranteed during its transmission unless Team AVCon has expressly indicated otherwise.
Once Team AVCon receives personal information, it will take reasonable steps to store it per the terms of this Policy so that unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, misuse and loss is limited or prevented.
Other Online Services
If any of Team AVCon’s online services (including any email messages we send to you) provide links to other online services that Team AVCon does not operate, it is not responsible for the content of those other services, and Team AVCon does not endorse the privacy practices of the organisations that operate those other services.
Complaints, Concerns or Further Information
If you believe that a breach of your privacy has occurred or have any other concerns surrounding privacy, we encourage you to contact Team AVCon to discuss your concerns using the details provided.